Monday, December 21, 2009

Last night's dream 12/21/09

Last night I dreamt that Rosebud, Nigel, My Gal, Jesus and I went canoeing. We rented what was referred to as a "family gondola" which simply meant a big ass canoe. Rosebud lolled on the very edge of the very tip of the back of the canoe. Her eyes doing that little slitty thing she does when she'd rather be somewhere else. Nigel was at the opposite end of the edge of the front of the canoe dipping a paw into the water and shaking it off, dipping it in and shaking it off. Jesus lounged back by Rosebud with a paddle across his lap and a hand languidly trailing the surface of the water. My Gal was up with Nigel keeping an eye on him and paddling with precision and efficiency. I was in the center of the canoe making salami, cheese, and mayo sandwiches with french bread.
"To the right," My Gal would say and Jesus would wave his hand a bit and the canoe would go to the right.
"To the left, please."
"Mustard or mayo?" That was me.
"Mayo." Jesus
"Mustard." My Gal. "No, mayo...no...mustard."
"Meow." That was Nigel.
Rosebud, as usual, ignored me and began to shred the canoe with her claws.
"Rose! Rosebud! No, no, no! Rosebud! Rosebud! Rose! No, Rosebud, no, honey, no!" I pleaded and this went on and on until My Gal smacked her paddle in the water and said, "Buttercup! Stop it!" and Rosebud stopped and My Gal gave me her big butch look, a rarity.
"If you could be any animal what animal would you be?" queried Jesus. This was one of his favorite games.
Rosebud gave him the hairy eyeball and Jesus said, "Rosebud McButtercup! I know you would only be you, you, the perfect you! And I know everyone wants to say Rosebud as their first choice so let's just move on to what-animal-would-you-be-if-you-couldn't-be-Rosebud?"
I said, "Vulture, whale, or bee."
My Gal said, "Lion, Pomeranian, or pig."
Jesus said, "Tortoise, hummingbird, or lice."
Nigel didn't understand the question and was too absorbed in wetting and shaking his paw to give it more attention.
We meandered down the river. I love to meander.
"I love to meander," I shared.
"Uh huh! That you do..." My Gal agreed.
"That 40 day thing I did..." mused Jesus, "...that was meandering for sure. You know I ran into Satan on that trip!"
"Uh huh," My Gal and I both said at the same time and rolled our eyes at each other.
"Not very many people know the truth about what Satan and I talked about," Jesus imparted to a now rapt audience of two. Rosebud having had a good stretch had mosied down to Jesus' lap and was curled in a little calico ball snoozing away. Nigel was still doing the dip the paw, shake the paw thing.
"We discussed sports mostly. Beer. The ladies! Ha, ha, ha," joked Jesus.
My Gal and I waited patiently knowing Jesus had to go through this kinda jokey thing before he shared the real wisdom. He was just like that. My Gal kept saying, "He's a humorist." But I think he was the incarnation of Henny Youngman. If I had a nickel for the times he'd said, "Take my Father...please!"
"We talked about morality and mortality." Jesus sighed heavily. "We talked about precious mankind and how heroic and pitiful ya'll are."
We all looked off into different distances around the canoe.
Nigel fell into the water and Jesus levitated him out. My Gal toweled him off. We ate our sandwiches.
Jesus began singing "Row, Row, Row your Boat" and we all joined in in a beautiful round.

1 comment:

Hazen said...

I prefer mayo on my salami sandwiches which my wife and daughters think is wrong. They put butter on their sandwiches which I think is wrong.