Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Last night's dream 11/24/09

Last night I dreamt I was on a quest of some kind. A black man and I had begun by walking out the door of a house. Part of the quest was that I take nothing with me. We stopped at a man's house. This man was one of those guys who had a perpetual yard sale going on in his carport. We were offered food by this man and I pulled out two butter knives and my guide and I ate some steak and then he said it was time to get rid of the knives. So I went to the yard sale man, the merchant, and I asked what I could get for the knives. He pointed to a basket filled with stuff and said, "Anything in the basket..." then he reached over and removed a golden egg shaped Christmas ornament from the basket and set it aside and then said again, "Anything in the basket..." Other men appeared around the table and they started pulling things out of the basket and commenting on these items. Several glass salt shakers came out of the basket and the men lined them up. Each was filled with salt and most were clear but there was a pale, pale pink one that was so very pale that I had to keep asking myself, "Is it clear or pink?" The merchant agreed to give me six of the salt shakers in exchange for the two butter knives. One of the knives was sterling but several of the salt shakers had sterling tops so I felt the deal was good. I took the salt shakers, wrapped them in styrafoam and then in a green felt cloth and headed over to two small cots that the guide and I were going to sleep in that night. I began to tell the guide about the salt shakers and my plan to leave them somewhere whilst we were questing and to pick them up again on the return trip. Before I could speak the guide said angrily, "What have you DONE? What have you DONE girl?!?! Now, not only do you have this book", and he held up a book and waved it around, "but now you have these things as well?!?! What are you thinking? This is not a game! We are on a quest. The only rule I had for you was to bring nothing. Nothing!" and he stormed away from me. I began to cry with shame. Eventually the guide returned and said, "Come on...we need to get hot water for the tea." We headed over to the back door of the merchant's home and knocked on an aluminum screen door. The merchant came to the door and the guide asked for hot water for tea. As he turned I blurted, "Ex..ex...excuse me, sir!" He turned and through sobs I asked if I might return the salt shakers and in return for the knives if it might be possible for him to mail the book back home for me. Both the merchant and the guide smiled and the guide embraced me and kissed my face.

No comments: