Thursday, September 17, 2009

Last night's dream 9/17/09

Last night I dreamt that I was at a cocktail party and I looked fabulous but every time I looked in a mirror I was in fishing gear. I would look down at my outfit and see that I had on a lovely black silk velvet cocktail dress with rhinestone accents and fabulous black satin vintage Ferragamo pumps with a coy little black bag that just fit my lipstick and license. I had tender little diamonds in my ears and a strand of luscious pearls around my neck. My nails were this gorgeous maroony red as were my lips. I could tell from examining the lipstick tube. But when I would glance in a mirror, or even the reflection from a window or a glass, I was decked out in fishing gear. I had on big old waders in festive olive green and a plaid shirt and one of those sloppy fishing hats with the flies attached higgledy piggledy around the edges. Instead of my coy little black bag I had one of those big picnic baskety bags that, I don't even know, do you keep the fish in there?!?! And I had one of those big nets too. I'd look down, elegant attire, I'd look at my reflection, "The River Runs Through It". And every time I had a cocktail it would be a cocktail until I looked in the mirror and then it would be a trout. Rainbow. Still flipping around. Martini, trout, martini, trout. My friend walked up to me and said, "There's something different about you tonight...I can't quite put my finger on it..." "Is it the trout?" I whispered hoarsely. She laughed and said, "You'll ruin those shoes in the river Styx!" I didn't like how this was headed so I ordered another trout and gulped it down but it did no good. I still looked like an extra from "On Golden Pond" when I peeped at my reflection. Finally I couldn't take it any more. "I'm going home." I told my friend. "Don't forget this!" She said and handed me an umbrella. In the mirror the umbrella was a big fishing pole, one of those whippy kind that is used for I don't know what kind of fishing but I know it is a special pole. "Great. Yeah. Wouldn't want to forget this baby..." I mumbled and headed out the door. Outside I stepped directly into a river. A passing stork called out, "You know if you catch the RIGHT one you'll have peace of mind..." and it flew away. I looked down to see thousands of salmon in their berserk attempt to swim upstream. I threw my fetching little purse up on the bank of the river, hiked up my dress and started grabbing. Each fish I caught would turn into an appetizer. "Do I eat it? Do I save them up on the bank? Do I put them in the baskety bag thingie?" I pondered. My peace of mind depended on doing the right thing. But I had no idea what the right thing was. The bar door opened and my Mom came out. She was also in fishing gear. She came into the river with me, gave me a kiss, and said, "Watch how I do it honey. Then we'll catch the right one for you." I burst into tears.

No comments: