Sunday, September 27, 2009

Last night's dream 9/27/09

Last night I dreamt that I was at the movies. It was a "chick flick" and I was wondering what I was doing there since my tastes tend toward "indie" films. Nigel and Rosebud stroll in. Both are walking upright and both have a ultra bucket of popcorn and a giant mega super gulp drink. How they hold on to these in their little monkey paws is beyond me, but they manage. Each takes a seat on either side of me. Rosebud pushes her big tub of popcorn into my lap but gives me the hairy eyeball look to let me know that I shouldn't even consider digging in and puts her giant mega super gulp drink into the cup holder. Then she proceeds to shred the back of her seat with her razor sharp claws. "I just clipped you yesterday!" I hiss. "They grow fast...when I want them to..." she replies nonchalantly. Nigel reaches the end of his drink cup and continues to suck through his straw in case he's missed a molecule of soda. People in the theater start to "tsk" and murmur and I quickly pinch the straw to shut off his air supply to the bottom of the cup. "Ooohhhhkaaaayyyyy Nige. Good boy!" I whisper. He completely ignores me and sticks his face into his popcorn and routs around. Rosebud sniffs her popcorn tub and then just holds it in her lap looking despondent. The big scene where the "boy gets the girl" comes on and Nigel freezes. He watches raptly and hangs on every cloyingly sweet word. Rosebud looks up at the ceiling and sighs and puts her bucket down and claws the arm chair a couple of times then curls up and falls asleep. Nigel tugs at my sleeve and whispers, "Will that be me someday Mom? Will I meet that special someone who will compete me?" "Um...you mean complete you honey...well, the reality of it is, son, that no one really needs another person to 'complete' themselves you see...." but Nigel shushes me and points at the screen with his little paw. Now the "girl" is dying and the "boy" is heartbroken and there are tears gushing everywhere and I look over and Nigel has tears streaming down his face and he looks at me confused and scared. "But Mom! They just met and fell in love! What's going on?!?" he asks me. "Honey, it's just a mov..." but he bursts into tears and crawls into my lap and I don't know what to do. He begins to suckle the inside of my elbow and I let him. Other moviegoers start to complain about his loud piglike suckling sounds so I get up and whisper to Rosebud that we are going to the lobby. Rosebud is sacked out on her chair but gives me the honor of opening one eye, slightly, to show that she's heard me. Out in the lobby Nigel gets distracted by...everything...finally, after scratching, pushing, tugging, nuzzling, and pawing at every item in the lobby he comes back over and sits down next to me. "Mom...I want to find my 'Mr. Right'." He informs me, then continues, "How will I ever find him if I can't leave the house except when I'm with you and Rosebud? How will I ever figure out good pick up lines? How will I experiment and explore my sexuality if you and Rosebud are always there? I will never be able to get 'jiggy with it'..." and he bursts into tears again.

No comments: