Friday, September 18, 2009

Last night's dream 9/18/09

Last night I dreamt that I Rosebud and Nigel and I went to the mall. Rosebud begged, pleaded, threatened to inappropriately urinate if she didn't get a new sweater (although she refuses to wear clothes) and Nigel wanted a toy. Which meant a trip to the drug store because Nigel only associates Q-tips (with the tips removed) as "toys". They were walking beside me, one on either side, and they were walking on their hind legs. Rosebud had on an MP3 player and was listening to "Hits of the 80's". I knew because she was playing it loud enough that I could hear it walking beside her. "I can hear that music, you know..." I started. "Mom..." she began. "Rosebud, listen..." I continued. "Call Me...on the line...call me, call me, any, anytime..." Rosebud responded. "Rosebud!" I cursed. "Can't Touch This.do, do, dodo, do, do , dodo..can't touch this." Rosebud intoned. "Fenway Rambling Rose!" I said through gritted teeth. That got Nigel's attention. "Oooohhhh, Somebodies in trouble now!" he singsonged delightedly. "Take on me! Take me ooooonnnnn! Take on me!" Rosebud hummed away as if I wasn't turning purple. "Rose..." I sighed and began again. Rosebud slowly reached up and turned down her MP3 player so that now I could only hear mumblings of songs and not the exact words. This time I rolled MY eyes. Nigel saw the Rite Aid sign and got extremely excited, bouncing around, running a few feet ahead and then back again. When we got to the Q-tip aisle he was practically in tears. I pulled down a box of the generic tips and Nigel's face fell. His lower lip started to quiver and he looked at me hurt and puzzled. "Oh for crying out loud..." I sighed under my breath and put the generic back and reached for the blue Q-tip brand box. Nigel's face lit up and that's all I needed to see. My heart melted and I grabbed a second box which sent Nigel into euphoric spins in the middle of the aisle. Rosebud meanwhile had moved on to "Best Opera Aria's". I knew this because the volume had once again been adjusted. I gave her "the look" and the volume went back down. "Okay, sweaters!" I said enthusiastically. "No." Rosebud said. "What?!?..." I began but one look at her majesty's face told me that we were done shopping and it was time to go. "The opera put me in a pensive frame of mind. I need to go home and ponder tragedies." Rosebud shared. So we went home and laid on the bed together, the three of us, pondering tragedies.

No comments: